Have a look online at the Celtic Colours International Festival website – for the Singing Storytellers “Learning Opportunities” and performance events that are featured there:
- Singing Storytellers at the Library: We invite the public to join our symposium for a day filled with films, workshops, talks and demonstrations about the lives, music and verbal artistry of bards in our world. 10am-4pm, Thurs, 9 Oct, McConnell Library.
- A Life in Story and Song: An evening featuring Irish traditional singers Seán Ó Sé and Lillis Ó Laoire, and a film created by ethnomusicologist Matthew Allen. 7pm, Thurs, 9 Oct, Sydney Curling Club.
- Capt. John Smith Goes to Ukraine: A play – a multimedia event! – featuring bandurist Julian Kytasty and poet Bob Holman. Before John Smith sailed for Virginia, he was an adventurer in the Mediterranean where he fought the Ottoman Turks, was captured and sold as a slave – as you will learn in this comedy/musical/historical epic-in-an-hour! 2pm, Sat, 11 Oct, Boardmore Playhouse/Cape Breton U.
- Bards of the World: A concert featuring singing storytellers from Mali to Ukraine to Ireland to Cape Breton! 2pm, Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Boardmore Playhouse/Cape Breton U.
- Whitney Pier Welcome: This concert that features performers of bardic traditions related to the diverse cultural ancestry of Whitney Pier’s multicultural community! 2pm, Mon, 13 Oct, Ukrainian Hall.
Many other Singing Storytellers workshop and performance events are in the works! Check out the Preliminary Program – and keep checking back to this site for updates. In the coming weeks, we will post news about Singing Storytellers Special Events!